San Diego Leadership Alliance Institute Quick Facts
What is the San Diego Leadership Alliance?
- The San Diego Leadership Alliance (SDLA) is a local nonprofit dedicated to building progressive leadership in San Diego.
- The SDLA’s flagship program is the SDLA Institute, a six-month intensive skills and relationship building program for progressive young professionals.
The SDLA Institute includes the following elements:
- Personal leadership development
- Skill building in multiple areas, including policy analysis, political management, messaging, and strategic communications
- Training on fundraising for politics and nonprofits
- Application of fundraising skills via organizing a fellows’ fundraiser
- Spotlight speaker visits from local elected officials and prominent progressive leaders
- Networking events with the Institute class, the SDLA board, and the larger SDLA network
Who should apply for the SDLA Institute?
- The SDLA Institute is for progressive young professionals and emerging leaders.
- Institute Fellows have a demonstrated capacity to take risks and make meaningful change in the world around them.
- The SDLA Institute is not just for political professionals, but also for those in business, law, education, defense, and the non-profit and philanthropic sectors.
- Applicants should review the Institute schedule prior to applying, as all Fellows are expected to be present for the entirety of each Institute session.
How do I apply for the next SDLA Institute?
- Application opens September 5, 2023 at https://sdleadership.wufoo.com/forms/2024-sdla-institute-application/
- DEADLINE: Applications are due by 11:59 PM on Thursday, November 9, 2023.
- Applicants must be members of the SDLA ($30) to apply, and there is a $200 deposit to participate. The $200 deposit is returned to Fellows after they complete the Institute.
How do I learn more about the SDLA?
Visit our website at https://www.sdleadership.org/sdla-institute for the following information:
- Details on optional info-sessions for prospective applicants.
- Read about past Fellows, and past Institute programs.
- Sign up for the SDLA email distribution list.
- Please contact [email protected] if you have any additional questions!
How else can I help out the SDLA’s mission?
- Nominate candidates for the SDLA Institute at https://sdleadership.wufoo.com/forms/2024-a-sdla-institute-a-nominations/
- Participate in a committee
- Host an Institute session or event
- Become a member at http://sdleadership.org.
Who runs the SDLA?
- The SDLA is a nonprofit, run by local volunteers.
- The San Diego Leadership Alliance is managed by two co-presidents, Ansermio Jake Estrada and Emily Tran, as well as about 16 other board members.
San Diego Leadership Alliance
2024 Institute Dates
SESSIONS 1 & 2. Saturday & Sunday, January 20 & 21
- Happy Hour to follow with Fellows only.
- SESSION 3. Saturday, February 3
- SESSION 4. Saturday, February 10
- SESSION 5. Saturday, March 9
- SESSION 6. Saturday, March 16
- SESSION 7. Saturday, April 13
- SESSION 8. Saturday, April 27
- SESSION 9. Saturday, May 4
FELLOWS FUNDRAISER. Mid-May 2024
- SESSIONS 10. Saturday, May 18
- GRADUATION. Saturday, June 8
*All sessions run from 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (except Graduation, which is usually scheduled for the afternoon).